How Freegive community recycling work
Freegive connects people who are giving and getting unwanted item for free in their own towns. It’s all about reuse, reduce, recycle and keeping good stuff out of landfills. It’s completely free to join and everything posted must be free. Everyone and any organisation are welcome to join. It’s free to sign up, then post a message with an OFFER of something you want to get rid of, or a WANTED message for something you need.
- • You have a television or sofa or bed or computer or clothes or furniture or printer or toys or washing machine you were going to throw out.
- • Register on Freegive website.
- • Post an offer on Freegive website.
- • People respond to you if they are interested.
- • You pick a recipient and arrange for them to collect the item.
- • They take the item away.
- • Post an item TAKEN message on Freegive website to let the group know that the item is no longer available by posting an item TAKEN message to the group.
- • Someone in your community who needed your unwanted item can now use it, fix it or use parts for spares.
- • If you need an item you can request one on Freegive website the same way by posting an item WANTED message to the group and if someone has what you’re looking for they will contact you to offer it.
Tips on how to post an item on Freegive website
Is your item OFFER, TAKEN, WANTED, or RECEIVED?
- • When making an offer, write “offer or offered” in the ad title or subject line first.
- • Don’t put your phone number in it or it will ring off the hook.
- • Ask individuals to email you with their phone number.
- • It’s a first-come, serve type of thing.
- • Once your item is gone, post another item TAKEN message to the group that says it’s gone.
- • Always state what area you live in. People need to know whether they have the
means to get to your place to pick up the item.
Click here for more information on how to post an item on Freegive.
Note: Messages will be rejected if the below format is not followed
- • ( Is your item OFFER, TAKEN, WANTED, or RECEIVED? ) – For example: OFFER
- • ( Subject or Ad title: ) – OFFERED: HP Printer, Model F2180
- • ( Text/Body: Please describe your item: ) – Good condition HP Printer, model F2180 – Will probably need new cartridges to make it work but I don’t think it’s a big problem. Let me know if interested.
Your (OFFERED) message will appear like this:
- • OFFERED: HP Printer, Model F2180
- • Good condition HP Printer, model F2180 – Will probably need new cartridges to make it work but I don’t think it’s a big problem. Let me know if interested.
Your (WANTED) message will appear like this:
- • WANTED: HP Printer, Model F2180
- • Hi I am looking for HP Printer, Model F2180 for my internet. If you have one that you want to give away please let me know thanks.
Your (TAKEN) message will appear like this:
- • TAKEN: HP Printer, Model F2180
- • Thanks for the interest. These item have now gone.
Your (RECEIVED) message will appear like this:
- • RECEIVED: HP Printer, Model F2180
- • Thanks very much to everyone who replied and offered HP Printer, Model F2180, but I have one now. I am very happy!
Our aim is to help people find the things they need, and get rid of the things they don’t by encouraging people to recycle working or easily repairable goods such as free tv, furniture, clothes, appliances, computers, toys, television, beds, printer, laptop, books, baby stuffs, sofas, video player, cars, chairs, dvd player, washing machines, mattress, bicycle, table, shoes, fridge, carpet, mobile phones, freezer, cookers or anything that is taking up space can be passed on to someone else in your community. Meeting new people helps to develop local community networks and friendships in the process.